Yen's Adventures in Vietnam

Thursday, June 17, 2004

cabbie ride

so a cabbie took me for a ride. a ride that cost me twice as much as it should have. it was a rather interesting conversation that i had while the cabbie totally took advantage of my american wallet.

ok, so i went to the hospital at which that the doctor that i work with works. turns out he wasn't there and was instead at their smaller clinic, so i called a cab and took it to the clinic. it should have taken a few minutes. well, it took more than a few minutes. oh, but then the cabbie was talking the whole time. literally. he kept on asking me questions, etc etc. then he starts asking how old i was and whether i was married (i guess 23 is considered to be an old maid... my god, married? now? ha!). so, by now i was asking him when we would get to the clinic because it was taking a bit long. he just responds, "oh, we're almost there." then, he proceeds to make this long u-turn around several city blocks. amazing. like i'm stupid.

oh, the icing on the cake was when he offering to introduce me to some drivers that he knew that i might be interested in... as husbands. that was when i stopped being nice and stopped talking to him.

in the end, the ride cost me a little over $2 US, which is a lot considering that it really costs me that much to get twice as far. oh well.

What do you have to say?(2)

  • Tell me about it. The taxi drivers here, in addition to trying to milk you for everything you have, drive you to their friends' hotels, shops, etc. And they promise it will be better. Ha.

    Do you fix the price ahead of time there? That's what I've been doing.

    -Eric

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at June 18, 2004 at 3:41 AM  

  • no, i haven't tried to fix the price before setting off.... they have the meter thingy... though i'm sure that they wouldn't mind going off the meter.

    oh well, with the exchange rate, it doesn't cost me all that much. my contribution to the vietnamese economy, i guess.

    By Blogger YennieT, at June 18, 2004 at 8:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home